We’re introducing several improvements for breakout rooms in Google Meet. These improvements include:
- The ability for meeting hosts and co-hosts to automatically move participants back to the main meeting room once breakout rooms end.
- Better visual indicators for breakout room participants to indicate this movement.
Why it’s important
In 2020, we introduced breakout rooms for Google Meet, which allows meeting hosts and co-hosts to split larger meetings into smaller groups for discussion or group work. We’ve heard from our customers that they need more controls to easily and effectively manage breakout rooms.
Breakout room participants will see a banner with a countdown indicating when they’ll be moved back to the main meeting room.
We’ve added better indicators confirming participants have been moved back to the main meeting room. Additionally, cameras and microphones will be turned off when participants are automatically moved back into the main meeting — participants can re-enable them once they’re ready.
- Admins: There is no admin control for these features.
- End users: Visit the Help Center to learn more about using breakout rooms in Google Meet.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on December 14, 2021
- Available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Nonprofits and Education Plus as well as G Suite Business customers
- Not available to Google Workspace Business Starter and Education Fundamentals, as well as G Suite Basic customers
Note: We expect this feature to be available for the Teaching and Learning upgrade in April 2022. We will provide an update on the Workspace Updates Blog.